So while I have been playing around in the galley Steve has been doing all the real work.
The shiny new diesel tank came back and after a minor modification (the addition of a couple tabs welded to to the top so it could actually be secured beneath the floor, who’d have thunk!) and it was successfully re-installed. Over the last couple years it seems like we’ve repaired or replaced almost every major system on board. Hopefully this is one of the last big hurdles so in commemoration we decided to sign and date the tank, literally putting our personal stamp on things. And with the newly varnished floor boards put back down, and the game of ‘don’t fall in the hole’ over, things inside are almost back to normal.
We’ve both been on a bit of a clean out mission recently.
The boat is just too small to have the precious storage space filled up with useless stuff. The rule of thumb has been if we haven’t used it, looked for it or talked about it in the last two years it is time to get rid of it. Steve tackled the all purpose tool compartment, which seemed to be mostly full of random bits and pieces and lots of mismatched nuts and bolts. He spent two days sorting, cleaning and organizing. Now in the middle of a project when you need a thing-a-majig you can find one and no longer have to go to chandlery and buy one.
Steve has also been tackling one other big project.
Removing two of the winches off the mast for service. This should be a fairly straight forward but thanks to the magic of science has been a bit of struggle. The mast is aluminium, the base of the winch is bronze and the screws are stainless steel. Add a little salt water and a couple decades and you get a reaction between dissimilar metals that virtually fuses them together. Breaking out the big guns Steve managed to drill out all the screws on two winches and thankfully neither the housing or the interior mechanisms are damaged. When he re-installs them there are plans to put an insulating gasket between the winches and the mast so this problem doesn’t happen again.
We also got the rudder back from the repair shop.
It turned out the crack was superficial, thank goodness, but putting it back in place was not. The lifting of the rudder in position wasn’t too hard but connecting the steering quadrant was a hot and sweaty job that had Steve tucked awkwardly into a small space for most of the day. It involved bouts swearing and resulted in minor injuries so I decided it best to put down the camera.
With the holidays approaching our enthusiasm for boat work definitely is waning but we keep coming up with ideas on how to improve things, and things we want to make, so no doubt there will be a few more of these updates before we are set free from the yard.